After a season long of FAILURE without Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood (as well as other players suffering numerous injuries through the entire year) there was a glimmer of hope: the NBA Lottery Draft (Here’s a helpful explanation of the NBA Lottery).
Besides the thought that next year might be the year where the Wizards might finally be healthy for a season (oh yeah and the trouncing of Cleveland when we DID have a starting lineup) was the fact that although they only won 19 games out of 82 it wouldn’t go to waste. No, at least they’d get a good draft pick out of it.
I, for one spent the remaining games of the Wizards season gleefully imagining Blake Griffin getting some of those sweet assists Arenas was tossing out in the two games he played at the end of the season. But I wasn’t the only one, the Wizards front office had imagined it too.
Not so fast though, tied for the second worst record in the league doesn’t guarantee anything other than a top 5 pick. This isn’t the NFL, the lottery reigns.
So what did the lottery say to the fans in the nation’s capital?
“SCREW YOU WASHINGTON“and ping pong balls of sadness fell to the Clippers tonight.
Now what? Many think Ernie Grunfeld will try and package the pick with a player or two(Etan Thomas?) to get a veteran to help out. Michael Lee with the Wizards Insider thinks they should draft James Harden (The NY Times likes him at least).
If you need a laugh, continue with the links and reading below.
As always, Dan Steinberg of the DC Sports Bog makes me smile in a sad situation:
Dan Steinberg via twitter:
“Ah, the week that was for D.C. sports fans. Too much joy than 140 characters can contain. http://tr.im/lPER ”
Jamie Mottram of Mister Irrelevant via twitter:
Maybe the Wiz could get Taylor Griffin with the 5th pick, and Blake could come visit sometime?
- Episode 75 - 75 Great Years!
- Episode 74 - Capitals Season in Review
- Washington Sportsjam NHL Playoff Preview Special
- Paul Miller on Anderson Silva’s Last Four Fights
- Elise S. Howe on Washington Sportsjam MMA Pound-for-Pound Rankings:April 2012 Edition
- Silas Vega on Washington Sportsjam MMA Pound-for-Pound Rankings: July 2012 Edition
- Janette Cantu on Washington Sportsjam MMA Pound-for-Pound Rankings:April 2012 Edition
- Ivy L. Mckay on Anderson Silva’s Last Four Fights
- BeltwayBoy Sports
- DC Pro Sports Report
- Official Redskins Blog
- Washington Post Express
- Washington Redskins Examiner
- Podcast Episode
- Site News