So, if you’ve been wondering where we’ve been recently, Washington Sportsjam is officially on hiatus. We’re not recording any more podcasts presently and we’re not posting any more articles. We aren’t committed to tweeting, obviously, but we will occasionally still tweet when we are so motivated.
Sadly, we have all become too busy to give the podcast and blog the time required. We’ve had a blast the last few years and we’ve appreciated everyone who’s listened to the podcast, followed and interacted with us on twitter, and read and commented on our blog.
All that being said, the reason this is pulling a Brett Favre, is we may eventually come back. We published 75 episodes, I would really love to get to 100. Maybe one day. Until then, this is Mark signing off and support your local sports teams in the DMV.
If you’ve been following the blog and the podcast lately, you’ll know that there are some changes coming to Washington Sportsjam. We’ve announced on our latest podcast that we will be retiring from podcast after our 50th episode unless we can get some help. Matt and I simply don’t have the time we need to devote to the podcast anymore. We could continue doing the podcast and put less effort into to it, but that would affect the quality of the show and we’re striving to continually improve the show, not make it worse.
There is a chance the show can be saved. If we can get a few listener’s to join the podcast team and take over some of our responsibilities the show can go on. The goal is that eventually Matt and I will strictly be panelists on the show and Executive Producers guiding the direction. We’d love to get some new people in the mix not just to help us out, but also to add some more viewpoints to the show.
So, how can you help out and contribute to the show? We have three positions we’d like to fill by the 50th episode. Producer, Editor, and Permanent Host.
The Producer responsibilities are:
- Scheduling Recording time of shows with all hosts, guests, and panelist
- Creating a regular release schedule for show and working with the Hosts, Paneliests, and Editor to ensure episode releases are consistent
- Booking guests for shows
- Promoting the show. This includes social networking such as keeping the Facebook page up-to-date, Updating Twitter, submitting the show to popular Podcast directories, any form of advertising for the show.
- Work with the Editor and Host to post the episode to the blog on the regular schedule.
the Editor Responsibilites are:
- Recording each podcast
- Editing each podcast
- Selecting appropriate pod-safe music and sound effects or creating original
- Editing clips for review and blooper shows
- Submitting the podcast to Mark for publishing
- Possible video editing in the future
the Permanent Host Responsibilities are :
- Host each show
- Create topic lists for each show and distribute to panelists, guests, producer, etc..
- Game Recaps on the Podcast
- Track all Predictions on the Podcast for reference in later podcasts
- Work with Producer and Editor to post the episode to the blog on schedule.
If you’re interested in joining the team please send us an email at email@example.com or Direct Message us on Twitter. If you have worked on a podcast in the past please send us the RSS feed so can check it out. If not, that is not a big deal, we are not looking for professionals, just passionate folks who love DC Sports.
If you’re a Producer without experience please send us a sample Topic list for an upcoming show. If you are an Editor without experience please send us a sample MP3 file that is a minute of a podcast. Include music and dialogue. You can cut and paste from our old shows if need be. If you would like be a host but haven’t hosted a podcast before please send us an MP3 file with your vocal recap of a recent sporting event. Don’t make it very long a minute to three minutes and in the similar format as we do on our show.
We look forward to hearing from you guys and hopefully collaborating with a few of you!
UPDATE: WSJ’s own Bryan, who you know from his live-tweeting of Capitals game, has graciously decided to step up! We are still working out roles and responbilities so we may still need help and we may not. But we will keep you guys posted. We’re excited about the new development and can’t wait for you guys to hear the results!
We just moved to hosting our own website and are excited about playing around with new features and content available to us. Please make sure to update your bookmarks, tell your friends, and check back often as week continually update and polish the site.
Hey everyone, Mark here.
Just that I’d give everyone a quick update on what’s going on, and to let you know, that yes, right now the Washington Sportsjam podcast is on indefinite hiatus. Matt, David, and I just have not been able to find the time lately to record a podcast, and you may have noticed that before the last one the gaps between episodes was getting wider and wider. We’re scattered in three places now and have all gotten busier for various reasons. As if this moment we have no podcasts planned or scheduled. Hopefully, in the summer we’ll have some time out, and be able to record a podcast, but I don’t think we’ll ever reach our goal of a monthly podcast. And again right now nothing is planned.
However, on the brightside, we are going to be putting some more time into the blog. You’ll notice Matt has jumped on and has posted fairly frequently. Also, check out our twitter feed. We ‘ll post our quick thoughts up there as often as possible and try to tweet during any major sporting events we’re watching. Matt and I have already tweeted during Games 2 and 3 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals.
It’s been fun, and thanks for everyone who listened. I still have a small bonus episode of outtakes to release at some point. We hope that we can back to the podcast stronger than ever and really deliver a quality product. But until we can, please forgive our absence. Please, keep following this blog for podcast information and also if you want to continue to hear our thoughts on different sports matters. This blog will become more of an outlet for our thoughts than before. And please continue commenting and sharing your ideas. Making a great community for D.C. sportsfans has always been my biggest goal.
- Episode 75 - 75 Great Years!
- Episode 74 - Capitals Season in Review
- Washington Sportsjam NHL Playoff Preview Special
- Janette Cantu on Washington Sportsjam MMA Pound-for-Pound Rankings:April 2012 Edition
- Ivy L. Mckay on Anderson Silva’s Last Four Fights
- Edwardo F. Francis on Washington Sportsjam MMA Pound-for-Pound Rankings: July 2012 Edition
- Rickey X. Olson on Washington Sportsjam MMA Pound-for-Pound Rankings: June 2012 Edition
- Kimberly Clay on Anderson Silva’s Last Four Fights
- BeltwayBoy Sports
- DC Pro Sports Report
- Official Redskins Blog
- Washington Post Express
- Washington Redskins Examiner
- Podcast Episode
- Site News